Private Pilots Licence

Private Pilots Licence


What is a PPL?

A PPL a licence that allows a holder to pilot an aircraft as pilot-in-command or co-pilot when the aircraft is being operated in a private operation or the holder is receiving flying training.

Can I fly any aircraft on my PPL?

No, you must hold the appropriate aircraft category rating on your PPL and the class or type rating for the aircraft you want to fly. Refer to CASA’s Aircraft class ratings and Type ratings information sheets for more information.

If you are applying for a PPL for the first time, you must also apply for an aircraft category rating and a class rating or type rating. The most common aircraft category rating is aeroplane. The other category ratings are helicopter, gyroplane, airship and powered-lift aircraft. After you have obtained your licence and category rating, you can apply for another category rating on the licence.

If you want to fly as pilot-in-command or co-pilot in a multi-crew operation, as well as holding the appropriate aircraft rating you must have completed an approved course of training in multi-crew cooperation. If you conducted multi-crew operations before 1 September 2015, you don’t have to complete that training.

How do I get a PPL?

You must be at least 17 years old to get your PPL. You also need to do the following for the category rating you want to get with your PPL:

  • learn the theory
  • complete flight training at a Part 141 or Part 142 flight training organisation
  • pass a PPL theory exam
  • meet the minimum aeronautical experience requirements
  • pass a PPL flight test for the licence and category rating.

These requirements have to be met for each additional category rating you apply for once you have your PPL.

What is involved in learning the PPL theory?

The theory syllabus for the PPL includes subjects such as flight rules and air law, aerodynamics, meteorology, navigation, flight planning, power plants, aircraft systems and other relevant subjects.

You can study the theory yourself if you have a self-learning course or you can attend classes at a flying school. Contact a flying school to work out what is the best way for you to complete the theory training for the PPL.

For each category rating there is a separate exam which covers the full theory syllabus that is relevant to that category rating for the PPL.

What flight training is required?

You will need to complete a course of flight training with a Part 141 or Part 142 flight training operator. This will include general flying, cross-country and instrument flying.

There are two types of courses: intensive integrated courses and non-integrated courses: Part 142 flight training organisations conduct integrated courses. Part 141 flight training organisations conduct non-integrated courses.

A flight training organisation can hold both certificates. Some Part 141 flight training organisations provide ground and flight training.

Previous flight training can be recognised by your flying training organisation as satisfying components of its training course. Your flight training organisation will conduct an assessment of that training and your current knowledge and skills to determine what further training you need to complete before being recommended for your flight test.

Before attempting your flight test, you need to meet the requirements specified for the grant of your PPL.

What are the medical requirements for a PPL?

You will need to have an appropriate medical certificate (Class 2) to take the PPL flight test.

When exercising the privileges of a PPL licence you can choose to fly a Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificate issued by CASA, or with a recreational aviation medical practitioner’s certificate (RAMPC).

If you are using an RAMPC, you will be limited to flying recreational aircraft by day under visual flight rules only. Other limitations apply when carrying more than one passenger and operating above 10 000 ft AGL.

If you are a PPL holder using a RAMPC, you will be limited to flying recreational aircraft only, and only by day under the visual flight rules.

For more information, download CASA’s factsheet here:

scroll to more content