As AOPA has previously reported, FLYBLUE Management Pty Ltd is the current licensee and is seeking to secure a long-term commercial lease over YKAT Katoomba Airfield – but they need your support.
Without it, this important aviation asset may disappear forever and when gone, it will never be repatriated.
FlyBlue have voluntarily made our plans for the airfield public on www.flyblue.com.au and would very much appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedules to lodge a positive submission to Crown Lands via email:
firstname.lastname@example.org in support of our application.
Here are some points you might wish to consider in your submission:
- – YKAT has operated as a commercial airfield continuously since it opened in 1968 i.e. 51 years! Although it is currently closed to fixed wing aircraft for safety reasons due to the eroded runways (except in emergencies), it continues to be used by helicopters.
- – YKAT plays a vital role for emergency service and defence aircraft during events such as bushfires and it is therefore not only in the interests of aviation that it remains open but it is also in the public interest!
- – The airfield is an important “safety ramp’’ in a geographically isolated area for general aviation and has twice been used as such during the past 18 months. It is the only viable and safe landing area on the Blue Mountains between Bathurst and Sydney for all General Aviation aircraft when traversing inhospitable terrain.
- – FlyBlue’s new enforceable YKAT Fly Neighbourly policy features appropriate flight paths away from residential areas, operating hours and general use of the airfield
with noise abatement procedures.
- – FlyBlue have already undertaken extensive site restoration work, including removing obsolete and dilapidated structures, abandoned waste materials and equipment. They have also installed two new windsocks, along with a weather station and cameras for use by general aviation www.katoomba.skycam.net.au.FLYBLUE MANAGEMENT PTY LTD ABN 57 810 890 520 KATOOMBA AIRFIELD, BLUE MOUNTAINS P.O.BOX 373, BLACKHEATH, NSW 2785
- – They plan to restore, protect and enhance the site including sealing the main RWY 06/24
- – They have partnered with Greenfleet to implement a carbon offset program which would see one tree planted for every flight which left the airfield.
- – With current visitor numbers standing at 4.7 million this year, and expected to grow to 5.6 million by 2023, they expect that our upgrades and long-term lease will help attract more tourism to the Blue Mountains including you as private aircraft owners or enthusiasts, who we know will stay in local hotels and B&Bs at least one night, visit attractions, dine in restaurants and shop.Friends, colleagues and fellow aviators, we thank you in advance for your support and encourage you to email your support to: email@example.com, using the reference number LX 602686 in the subject line (by 5pm on August 4).https://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/lands/public/on-exhibition
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact FlyBlue directly (firstname.lastname@example.org)